Skip to main content

June Goals

     


    I love summertime, and it's been awesome to have time with Avi at home. I love my job and working with students, but especially after this school year with so many changes, it's nice to slow down and focus on my own little one. My coworker had really good advice of picking sort of a theme for each day and while I haven't quite gotten that specific, I definitely have taken the idea of having one particular activity or outing (library, splash pad, lake, errands, friend's house, etc.) planned for each day and a loose structure of meals, time playing at the park and downtime at home. 

    That said, the lovely part of summer break is that the plans are flexible. If Avi is playing independently or absorbed in finger painting, we can stay home. It just helps me mentally to have a sense of what the day will bring instead of just having a twelve hour block of winging it. 

   Big Events this Month:



    *Joel's first trip away since Avi was born. He gets back tomorrow, and so far my solo time with Avi has gone well. She's at a pretty fun age, so I think this is going much better than if this had happened a year ago. 

    *We are road tripping out to California to spend time with parents, brother, and extended family. I am so looking forward to having an extended time with family after many months apart due to Covid. 

    *My parents both have birthdays in June (3 days apart)! 

    *Father's Day. 

    *Our 5 year anniversary trip! We are spending two nights at a beach house to celebrate our anniversary a month early since Nonna and Papa offered to watch Avi. Looking forward to a few days to relax together. 

     Goals: 

    *Create a capsule wardrobe with Project 333. I've always been curious about the idea of having a capsule wardrobe for a season, so I figured summer was the easiest time of year to try this for a few reasons: less weather fluctuation, and no need to include work clothes and home clothes. I'm curious to see how this goes, but a week in I'm enjoying having only the clothes I love most out.  

     *Make a summer fun list! I've already started on this, and we've done a few things already.

    *Order a photobook for Avi's first year. I think I need to accept I don't care that much about organizing the photos perfectly, and I'll be happier to have something ordered to capture that year. 

    * Create a summer playlist to listen to :) I would love to hear any suggestions you might have! 

    *Read one personal finance book (just started Your Money or Your Life). After having Avi and with covid, we have definitely fallen off the budgeting bandwagon. We're doing okay, but I'd like to read it and think through bigger financial goals like buying a house and how we can save up.

    * Add a few new recipes to our favorites list. I've recently started to enjoy cooking again a bit more, and so I'd love to add a few easy recipes to our usual collection. 


These goals are pretty lighthearted and fun for the most part, which feels right for this time of year. What's on your summer goals list? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two November Experiments

  Avi as a strawberry for Halloween.     Since I'm feeling a bit more in a routine work and schedule wise, I've decided to try two experiments this month. I've been thinking about both of them for a while, and I think I have the bandwidth to try them out this month. Experiment #1: The Seven Minute Workout     I struggle to get into exercise routines. It's not my highest priority, but I always do feel more energetic on the days I exercise. I've decided to do the seven minute HIIT workout everyday in November to see how it feels. It definitely gets my heart rate up without feeling too hard, and it's easy to fit in right before I shower in the morning. Although I've done this workout intermittently,  I'm curious to see what it feels like to make this a daily habit.  Experiment #2: Time Block Planning at Work Attempt #1     I read Deep Work  by Cal Newport earlier this year, and I've also been listening to his podcast  recently. In both the book and podc

Some Favorite Reads of 2020

            Reading is a core part of my identity, and I'm glad that I was able to read a lot of great books this year. I also loved seeing reading through Avi's eyes as a way to make sense of the world and learn new words. All that being said, I thought I'd share a few favorites from this year:      My favorites:     * The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennet. This book hooked me from the beginning. I'm a sucker for well-written books with multiples perspectives and timelines, and this was deserving of all the hype it got this year. I also gifted it to my mom for her birthday, and she devoured it too! It's the story of two identical twin sisters who go down two different paths in life and split directions when one of the sisters decides to pass for white and leaves her past behind. Bennet's other book The Mothers  is definitely on my to read list.      * The Ten Thousand Doors of January  by Alix E. Harrow. This was a beautifully written fantasy book that contained an

What I Want to Remember (Avi at One Year)

     It's hard to keep up with our forever changing, on the move girl! Her first birthday was on Monday. I want to take a moment to capture what it's like to have a one-year-old, and what Avi is like at this age. In the midst of all that is uncertain in this moment, I want to hold on to some of these memories, especially because she changes so quickly!     I want to remember:    Avi's first word yesterday--Mama. ❤  how she loves to drum on everything and is constantly moving.  her love of all berries and the way she looks intently into your eyes when she signs "more."   the way she loves to take things out of containers (like drawers, boxes, cabinets etc.).  her love of the outdoors and fascination with pine cones, grass, and flowers.   her laugh and smile when she is on the swing.  the way she looks up to find airplanes and birds in the sky.   how much she loves to read, turn pages, and point to things in the pictures. Favorite books right now: Avi's family b