Skip to main content

Trees Like Cathedrals

    


    This fall, I'm finding immense joy in the trees in our neighborhood. I've enjoyed fall ever since I lived in Massachusetts just after graduating college, since California fall doesn't have that quintessential fall feeling you hear about. But this year, perhaps because of how hot and ashy September was here, each sign of the season's changing feels hopeful and optimistic. 

    When Avi and I walk in the mornings and evenings, I've spent a lot of time looking up through the leaves in the tree. One of the things I love most about my neighborhood is that it is well-shaded by enormous trees. Even though I live in a residential area near a main road, when I look up I feel as if I've traveled farther into nature away from my house .



    Lately, I've been thinking of trees almost as cathedrals. I look up and see the light filtering through as though it's streaming in through stained glass windows. Starting my days looking for the light and sky filtering through the trees connects me to the present moment in a way that makes me feel grateful and whole. It reminds me of lighting candles in church for someone you love, or searching for a small miracle every morning. 

It's time to daydream, talk with Avi about the plants and trees, and bounce her in her carrier and listen to her babble. I don't have time to walk with her every morning, but I do know I feel like the best parent when I'm outside with Avi. I find myself feeling a little lighter and more hopeful, and a little bit more creative, and it's easier to bring that energy inside our home and school after a short spin around the block. 

    Yesterday I did a quick loop of the neighborhood with my camera, and I had so much fun trying to capture some of the trees in our usual morning loop.  I may experiment more with trying to catalog our neighborhood trees and learning more about the different species on our street.   



Comments

  1. I love the trees too. Your walks sound so nice. Walking with kids is really so wonderful, I agree.

    We got an outdoor hot tub recently in our backyard, and odd as it sounds, spending time in there this fall has really made me appreciate the leaves and trees more too. I've been going in on the weekend mornings alone, and well, there's not much else to do besides just look out at the yard or up at the trees. (Sometimes I attempt to take a book in, but that can be dangerous! Ha!) We have a HUGE oak tree, which I recently learned from an arborist is over 200 years old! The sun rises on the other side of it and shines through the branches in the mornings and it's just beautiful to sit and stare at. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Two November Experiments

  Avi as a strawberry for Halloween.     Since I'm feeling a bit more in a routine work and schedule wise, I've decided to try two experiments this month. I've been thinking about both of them for a while, and I think I have the bandwidth to try them out this month. Experiment #1: The Seven Minute Workout     I struggle to get into exercise routines. It's not my highest priority, but I always do feel more energetic on the days I exercise. I've decided to do the seven minute HIIT workout everyday in November to see how it feels. It definitely gets my heart rate up without feeling too hard, and it's easy to fit in right before I shower in the morning. Although I've done this workout intermittently,  I'm curious to see what it feels like to make this a daily habit.  Experiment #2: Time Block Planning at Work Attempt #1     I read Deep Work  by Cal Newport earlier this year, and I've also been listening to his podcast  recently. In both the book and podc

Some Favorite Reads of 2020

            Reading is a core part of my identity, and I'm glad that I was able to read a lot of great books this year. I also loved seeing reading through Avi's eyes as a way to make sense of the world and learn new words. All that being said, I thought I'd share a few favorites from this year:      My favorites:     * The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennet. This book hooked me from the beginning. I'm a sucker for well-written books with multiples perspectives and timelines, and this was deserving of all the hype it got this year. I also gifted it to my mom for her birthday, and she devoured it too! It's the story of two identical twin sisters who go down two different paths in life and split directions when one of the sisters decides to pass for white and leaves her past behind. Bennet's other book The Mothers  is definitely on my to read list.      * The Ten Thousand Doors of January  by Alix E. Harrow. This was a beautifully written fantasy book that contained an

Analog Evenings

       Library Pick-Ups Lately Reading out loud: In the past we've enjoyed reading mysteries together. Lately though, we subscribed to The New Yorker  and take turns reading the articles and stories to each other. We loved  this article .    Going on walks at the end of the work day or after dinner: This helps to break up the day and separate out work from rest. I love to look at all the whimsical touches in people's yards. So far my favorite is a sign that says "Caution: Entering the Silly Walk Zone."  Cooking or baking together: I originally got the idea of cookie date nights from  Rising Shining . Inspired by the post, we made a big batch of frozen cookie dough portioned out. I was mostly excited to make the cookies, but I was surprised at how much we enjoyed the process. We both love to cook but have been less enthused about it since Avi was born. Since we don't need to bake, it feels like a fun extra instead of an obligation.    Curbside Pick Up books from