Skip to main content

Two November Experiments

 

Avi as a strawberry for Halloween.

    Since I'm feeling a bit more in a routine work and schedule wise, I've decided to try two experiments this month. I've been thinking about both of them for a while, and I think I have the bandwidth to try them out this month.
Experiment #1: The Seven Minute Workout
    I struggle to get into exercise routines. It's not my highest priority, but I always do feel more energetic on the days I exercise. I've decided to do the seven minute HIIT workout everyday in November to see how it feels. It definitely gets my heart rate up without feeling too hard, and it's easy to fit in right before I shower in the morning. Although I've done this workout intermittently,  I'm curious to see what it feels like to make this a daily habit. 
Experiment #2: Time Block Planning at Work
Attempt #1

    I read Deep Work by Cal Newport earlier this year, and I've also been listening to his podcast recently. In both the book and podcast, he advocates time block planning, which is basically making a plan for each minute at work. I tried this out on Friday, and it was so helpful. Allocating a specified time for each task forced me to be realistic about what I could and could not accomplish, which forced me to to prioritize better. I'm hoping this helps me to make better use of my plan time at work, and start the day by evaluating priorities. I think playing with this for a month will help me to be more intentional about lesson-planning and grading.

    Have you tried either of these strategies? What's something you're looking forward to in November?

Comments

  1. What is the 7 minute HIIT workout? Is it a specific routine? I don't think I've heard of that. Sounds like a good way to at least do something and solidify the exercise habit!

    I also like to utilize time blocking. My job is very fluid, meaning that it kind of just could theoretically go on and on without end. So I like to make a time block schedule each day in the morning and block out "deep work" periods (in my case, just doing my nurse data work with no breaks/ other interruptions in there) and then schedule in when I will take "lunch" or "breaks" etc. I find it extremely helpful to stay on task and know in advance when I will have a chance to check my personal email, respond to texts, get a snack, etc. (important since I work from home and there's no shortage of ways you could waste time, haha!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use the one that was published in the NY Times a few years ago. There's lots of free apps and youtube versions of it! I'm always impressed by people who work at home. I definitely appreciate having boundaries between home and work although it would be more convenient in a lot of ways.

      Delete
  2. Adding another comment because I forgot- would it be possible for you to add a widget to allow people to "subscribe by email" to your blog? I don't see one anywhere. I love being able to subscribe to blogs I like to just get the new posts in my email, so I don't have to remember to check them all all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion! I added the widget to the sidebar :)

      Delete
  3. I've read about the time blocking from cal and I even ordered his new planner. will try it out when I receive it. I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm curious to know what you think of it! I was tempted to order it too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Some Favorite Reads of 2020

            Reading is a core part of my identity, and I'm glad that I was able to read a lot of great books this year. I also loved seeing reading through Avi's eyes as a way to make sense of the world and learn new words. All that being said, I thought I'd share a few favorites from this year:      My favorites:     * The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennet. This book hooked me from the beginning. I'm a sucker for well-written books with multiples perspectives and timelines, and this was deserving of all the hype it got this year. I also gifted it to my mom for her birthday, and she devoured it too! It's the story of two identical twin sisters who go down two different paths in life and split directions when one of the sisters decides to pass for white and leaves her past behind. Bennet's other book The Mothers  is definitely on my to read list.      * The Ten Thousand Doors of January  by Alix E. Harrow. This was a beautifully written fantasy book that contained an

What I Want to Remember (Avi at One Year)

     It's hard to keep up with our forever changing, on the move girl! Her first birthday was on Monday. I want to take a moment to capture what it's like to have a one-year-old, and what Avi is like at this age. In the midst of all that is uncertain in this moment, I want to hold on to some of these memories, especially because she changes so quickly!     I want to remember:    Avi's first word yesterday--Mama. ❤  how she loves to drum on everything and is constantly moving.  her love of all berries and the way she looks intently into your eyes when she signs "more."   the way she loves to take things out of containers (like drawers, boxes, cabinets etc.).  her love of the outdoors and fascination with pine cones, grass, and flowers.   her laugh and smile when she is on the swing.  the way she looks up to find airplanes and birds in the sky.   how much she loves to read, turn pages, and point to things in the pictures. Favorite books right now: Avi's family b