Skip to main content

Mountain Getaway

  
The view from our Airbnb

      It was Spring Break last month, and we decided to get an Airbnb in the mountains for a change of scene. It was a lot of fun! I feel like our expectations were a lot more reasonable about what a vacation with a toddler during a pandemic would be like, and we ended up having a great time.

Some highlights:  

*Going to the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo in Colorado Springs. It was a super snowy day, but it was still an awesome experience. Avi LOVED feeding the baby giraffe lettuce and was obsessed with watching the river otters. I think she would have stayed there all day had the otters not gone to the indoor part of their exhibit, and she she still talks about the "awthers." This is also one of the first memories I've noticed she's held onto. She will make signs for giraffes eating and talk about lions sleeping and mention the otter in the bath. 



*Going on a hike and seeing the river and canyon near Canon City and driving to the highest suspension bridge. We ate Indian food in the park and looked at lots of local murals. 

*Our Airbnb was gorgeous. We had a huge wall of windows that overlooked the mountains and it was so nice to relax with Joel and enjoy a glass of wine or play a game while watching the sun set after Avi went to bed. The owners also had toddlers so there were lots of puzzles and duplo blocks for Avi to play with, and she seemed happy to explore a new house (except she missed home around bedtime). 




*We loved going to Salida, CO. They had tons of cute stores and we enjoyed walking along the river and seeing the mountains. 


It's definitely still a little strange traveling through the pandemic. The county we stayed in had removed mask mandates in restaurants and indoor spaces, so it was really strange to see such a wide variation in what people were doing compared to what's normal on the Front Range. 

It was a lot more fun traveling with Avi compared to when she was 11-months-old. She's a lot more curious around the outside world and also just has more life skills like climbing down stairs safely. While it's definitely a lot slower paced than a trip Joel and I enjoyed before she was born, it was nice to be in a new space and also feel like it was safe to travel given that we were both vaccinated and the case rates were low. 

It's nice to feel like I can look ahead and plan some trips like this, and we've actually decided to spend a month in California with my parents to take advantage of my having the summer off and Joel still working from home until Mid-July. I'm feeling really grateful we are able to have these adventures as a family. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two November Experiments

  Avi as a strawberry for Halloween.     Since I'm feeling a bit more in a routine work and schedule wise, I've decided to try two experiments this month. I've been thinking about both of them for a while, and I think I have the bandwidth to try them out this month. Experiment #1: The Seven Minute Workout     I struggle to get into exercise routines. It's not my highest priority, but I always do feel more energetic on the days I exercise. I've decided to do the seven minute HIIT workout everyday in November to see how it feels. It definitely gets my heart rate up without feeling too hard, and it's easy to fit in right before I shower in the morning. Although I've done this workout intermittently,  I'm curious to see what it feels like to make this a daily habit.  Experiment #2: Time Block Planning at Work Attempt #1     I read Deep Work  by Cal Newport earlier this year, and I've also been listening to his podcast  recently. In both the book and podc

Some Favorite Reads of 2020

            Reading is a core part of my identity, and I'm glad that I was able to read a lot of great books this year. I also loved seeing reading through Avi's eyes as a way to make sense of the world and learn new words. All that being said, I thought I'd share a few favorites from this year:      My favorites:     * The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennet. This book hooked me from the beginning. I'm a sucker for well-written books with multiples perspectives and timelines, and this was deserving of all the hype it got this year. I also gifted it to my mom for her birthday, and she devoured it too! It's the story of two identical twin sisters who go down two different paths in life and split directions when one of the sisters decides to pass for white and leaves her past behind. Bennet's other book The Mothers  is definitely on my to read list.      * The Ten Thousand Doors of January  by Alix E. Harrow. This was a beautifully written fantasy book that contained an

What I Want to Remember (Avi at One Year)

     It's hard to keep up with our forever changing, on the move girl! Her first birthday was on Monday. I want to take a moment to capture what it's like to have a one-year-old, and what Avi is like at this age. In the midst of all that is uncertain in this moment, I want to hold on to some of these memories, especially because she changes so quickly!     I want to remember:    Avi's first word yesterday--Mama. ❤  how she loves to drum on everything and is constantly moving.  her love of all berries and the way she looks intently into your eyes when she signs "more."   the way she loves to take things out of containers (like drawers, boxes, cabinets etc.).  her love of the outdoors and fascination with pine cones, grass, and flowers.   her laugh and smile when she is on the swing.  the way she looks up to find airplanes and birds in the sky.   how much she loves to read, turn pages, and point to things in the pictures. Favorite books right now: Avi's family b