Skip to main content

Amaryllis Blossoms


 

    I know I'm not alone in writing after a weekend of below freezing temperatures (when I check the weather app it was -7). Sometimes we get a little stir crazy when the weather dips like this given the limits on indoor activities right now. One thing that's making our house feel alive and joyful right now, even with all the time we are spending inside, is the amaryllis I planted at the end of the year. 

    Planting an amaryllis bulb was on my 21 for 21 list, and the first item I was able to check off! It's a small start up cost and effort, but then it's really easy to maintain. And even though it seems like kind of a random addition to my list, it's brought an unexpected amount of brightness to our kitchen and living room. 

    Ultimately, I think my love for the amaryllis plant and how happy it's made me this winter comes down to this: there's a beautiful symbolism of a plant that is able to grow and blossom during the coldest time of the year. There's a beautiful abundance to the thick stalks that shot up within a week of planting the bulb, and the deep red flower that contrast starkly against the snow-covered rooftops on the other side of the window. 

    In a year where there's a lot of sadness with people getting sick and uncertainty for the future, looking at the amaryllis is deeply comforting. Even in the coldest, darkest part of the year, you can plant something that will grow into something gorgeous. It's a very tangible reminder that it's possible to find beauty in the mundane and also in adversity, and that you can hold space in life for both. 

First beginning to bud



    What's making you smile right now, or making you feel hopeful?

Comments

  1. Just stopping by to say hope all is well! I haven't noticed any new blog posts from you in my inbox lately, so I thought I'd stop by your site to make sure I wasn't missing them somehow!

    Our good weather right now is making EVERYONE feel a bit upbeat, I think. Definitely feels like spring is in the air, though as a lifelong Wisconsinite, I'm not naive enough to think that we won't get a few more cold snaps or even snow before spring is "really" here. :)

    Otherwise, my kids have been making me smile. They have overall just been in a pretty great place- back in some activities, school going well, talkative, wanting to spend time with me....I just feel a sense of longing as I know these childhood days are numbered. My oldest will be 13 in July! It is crazy. I really, really wish I could hit the pause button right about now. They are so independent (read- MUCH easier than toddlers ;) ) but still childlike enough that it doesn't feel like I have adults living in my house yet. Also, haven't really entered full blown teenager attitude stage yet. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good weather here is definitely helping! Work and home got hectic at the same time and then was feeling under the weather, but I'm hoping to get back into a good writing routine in the next week. Toddlers are tiring to be sure, but it is so cool to see Avi become more and more engaged with language and the world around her at this stage. Glad to hear all is well in your family, and I appreciate your checking in--it's a good reminder that I do want to make time for writing soon :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Two November Experiments

  Avi as a strawberry for Halloween.     Since I'm feeling a bit more in a routine work and schedule wise, I've decided to try two experiments this month. I've been thinking about both of them for a while, and I think I have the bandwidth to try them out this month. Experiment #1: The Seven Minute Workout     I struggle to get into exercise routines. It's not my highest priority, but I always do feel more energetic on the days I exercise. I've decided to do the seven minute HIIT workout everyday in November to see how it feels. It definitely gets my heart rate up without feeling too hard, and it's easy to fit in right before I shower in the morning. Although I've done this workout intermittently,  I'm curious to see what it feels like to make this a daily habit.  Experiment #2: Time Block Planning at Work Attempt #1     I read Deep Work  by Cal Newport earlier this year, and I've also been listening to his podcast  recently. In both the book and podc

Some Favorite Reads of 2020

            Reading is a core part of my identity, and I'm glad that I was able to read a lot of great books this year. I also loved seeing reading through Avi's eyes as a way to make sense of the world and learn new words. All that being said, I thought I'd share a few favorites from this year:      My favorites:     * The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennet. This book hooked me from the beginning. I'm a sucker for well-written books with multiples perspectives and timelines, and this was deserving of all the hype it got this year. I also gifted it to my mom for her birthday, and she devoured it too! It's the story of two identical twin sisters who go down two different paths in life and split directions when one of the sisters decides to pass for white and leaves her past behind. Bennet's other book The Mothers  is definitely on my to read list.      * The Ten Thousand Doors of January  by Alix E. Harrow. This was a beautifully written fantasy book that contained an

21 for 21 so far

            Normally I love to reflect at the end of the month. The end of February felt out of routine, and so it took me until a week into March to realize I hadn't set any goals for the month or reflected on February. I thought I'd mix it up and reflect instead on my 21 for 21 list and take more of a yearly lens.      I was pleasantly surprised to see that I actually had  made progress on many of the things on my 21 for 21 list so far!  Made Progress with: Hosting gatherings adapted to the season. We've had lunch in the park on nice days and met up with friends for walks and hot drinks outside.  So far Joel and I have gone on monthly dates in January and February, which has been great. We've been to two new-to-us parks: Kanemoto Park and Sandstone Ranch. Avi LOVED Sandstone Ranch, and the trails are flat enough that she can navigate much of it on her own :) I've done some work on shutdown rituals, and less distracted parenting. Having the phone in a basket helps,