Skip to main content

Currently: January 2021

     Loving: Cooking on the weekends, walks around frozen lakes, warmer days where we can spend time with friends outdoors, marking shabbat each week and setting aside screen-free time to connect as a family and with our family's Jewish identity, and moving in some way almost every day. 

    Listening to: The Good Ancestor Podcast (especially the most recent episode with Christine Platt), The Creative Classroom (which makes me feel inspired and creative professionally even in a topsy-turvy teaching year). 

    Reading: I've been reading a lot this month! Some favorite reads this month include: The Warmth of Other Suns, The Mothers, The Unhoneymooners, Transcendent Kingdom, and When the Stars are Scattered. 

    Watching: The Queen's Gambit, His Dark Materials, and Bridgerton. 

    Grateful for: Time spent walking around the neighborhood and reading with Avi. Thinking through parenting inspired by Montessori without getting to caught up in doing it perfectly. President Biden and Vice President Harris. My church. Health (for my family and myself). Amazing students and a job I love. 

    Struggling with: anxiety around the pandemic, quarantines, white supremacy and anti-semitism, particularly at the capitol. I feel like I've hit the pandemic wall a few times this month. I definitely miss seeing family and having them see Avi at this age. Toddler food throwing has also been frustrating this month. 

    Learning About: chess! Joel and I got on the Queen's Gambit bandwagon, and I love learning about the strategy.  

Comments

  1. Wow, that's so impressive you've read so many books already this month! When do you do most of your reading time? Here I am feeling proud that I've completed TWO books already this month- and maybe will reach my goal of reading 3 total this month! :) (And I kind of feel like I've ben reading pretty often/regularly!! Though we were out of town for a week, so I barely read that week at all). I have a couple of the books you read on my list already- will have to check out the others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read mostly before bed on the weekdays. On weekends I tend to read more when Avi's napping because it's a quiet activity that doesn't wake her up. I think I read so much this month because we have been trying to reduce screen time during shabbat (Friday sundown to Saturday sundown), so it freed up some weekend time.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Two November Experiments

  Avi as a strawberry for Halloween.     Since I'm feeling a bit more in a routine work and schedule wise, I've decided to try two experiments this month. I've been thinking about both of them for a while, and I think I have the bandwidth to try them out this month. Experiment #1: The Seven Minute Workout     I struggle to get into exercise routines. It's not my highest priority, but I always do feel more energetic on the days I exercise. I've decided to do the seven minute HIIT workout everyday in November to see how it feels. It definitely gets my heart rate up without feeling too hard, and it's easy to fit in right before I shower in the morning. Although I've done this workout intermittently,  I'm curious to see what it feels like to make this a daily habit.  Experiment #2: Time Block Planning at Work Attempt #1     I read Deep Work  by Cal Newport earlier this year, and I've also been listening to his podcast  recently. In both the book and podc

Some Favorite Reads of 2020

            Reading is a core part of my identity, and I'm glad that I was able to read a lot of great books this year. I also loved seeing reading through Avi's eyes as a way to make sense of the world and learn new words. All that being said, I thought I'd share a few favorites from this year:      My favorites:     * The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennet. This book hooked me from the beginning. I'm a sucker for well-written books with multiples perspectives and timelines, and this was deserving of all the hype it got this year. I also gifted it to my mom for her birthday, and she devoured it too! It's the story of two identical twin sisters who go down two different paths in life and split directions when one of the sisters decides to pass for white and leaves her past behind. Bennet's other book The Mothers  is definitely on my to read list.      * The Ten Thousand Doors of January  by Alix E. Harrow. This was a beautifully written fantasy book that contained an

21 for 21 so far

            Normally I love to reflect at the end of the month. The end of February felt out of routine, and so it took me until a week into March to realize I hadn't set any goals for the month or reflected on February. I thought I'd mix it up and reflect instead on my 21 for 21 list and take more of a yearly lens.      I was pleasantly surprised to see that I actually had  made progress on many of the things on my 21 for 21 list so far!  Made Progress with: Hosting gatherings adapted to the season. We've had lunch in the park on nice days and met up with friends for walks and hot drinks outside.  So far Joel and I have gone on monthly dates in January and February, which has been great. We've been to two new-to-us parks: Kanemoto Park and Sandstone Ranch. Avi LOVED Sandstone Ranch, and the trails are flat enough that she can navigate much of it on her own :) I've done some work on shutdown rituals, and less distracted parenting. Having the phone in a basket helps,