Skip to main content

Slow Down to the Speed of Love

     


    When I first joined the Unitarian church, Kelly Dignan was the minister. After many years of not attending any church, I kept returning on Sundays because of how much the sermons resonated. She has since moved on to community ministry, but I think about her and various ideas she has shared often. 

    The idea I return to more and more is "slow down to the speed of love." This touchstone phrase helps me recenter to the kind of person, parent, partner, and teacher I want to be. House a mess of toddler strewn books and toys? Slow down to the speed of love. Wifi down at school and trying to hybrid teach? Slow down to the speed of love. 

     For me, slowing down to the speed of love means letting go of the things that are more superficial and plugging in to the present moment and the people your with. I don't always succeed at slowing down when I'm stressed, but it's a helpful reminder to let go of what you can and focus on what's really essential. In this season of life, with having a toddler, it's sometimes tempting to focus on the tangible things you can check off like unloading the dishwasher, folding laundry, or lesson planning or grading. When I let those things go for a bit though and resist the tug of productivity, there's a lot of magic in those unrushed moments. 

    The past week or so has felt full, but mostly in a good way. I had a long weekend last week as comp days for family conference evenings, and I enjoyed the extra days with Avi and Joel. Fall as a teacher, especially this year, feels tilted towards work, so the extra family time felt especially needed and joyful. We used the extra time to visit friends in Denver, and to take Avi to the zoo and pumpkin patch for the first time. She is so much more curious about the world around her now, and it was really joyful to see her walking through the pumpkin fields and captivated by the mini-roller coaster ride and train at the pumpkin patch. I love this age she's at, and I'm looking forward to the park this weekend and seeing how she responds to snow(!) tomorrow. 

     I'm so grateful to have had that extra family time and to return to work feeling restored, rested and better able to slow down to the speed of love both at home and at school. I'm resisting the urge to cross things off my work to do list or check email. Lighting candles and saying shabbos prayers over wine and challah helps to reinforce that priority of taking Saturday as a day of pure rest and family connection time. Do you have any weekend rituals to slow down that help you keep boundaries between work and home? 



Comments

  1. What an interesting concept. I like that! I think when we get stressed, time feels like it is speeding up. Everything goes in turbo mode, out of control. Or at least it seems to for me. The idea of slowing it down and simplifying in those occasions is great advice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Two November Experiments

  Avi as a strawberry for Halloween.     Since I'm feeling a bit more in a routine work and schedule wise, I've decided to try two experiments this month. I've been thinking about both of them for a while, and I think I have the bandwidth to try them out this month. Experiment #1: The Seven Minute Workout     I struggle to get into exercise routines. It's not my highest priority, but I always do feel more energetic on the days I exercise. I've decided to do the seven minute HIIT workout everyday in November to see how it feels. It definitely gets my heart rate up without feeling too hard, and it's easy to fit in right before I shower in the morning. Although I've done this workout intermittently,  I'm curious to see what it feels like to make this a daily habit.  Experiment #2: Time Block Planning at Work Attempt #1     I read Deep Work  by Cal Newport earlier this year, and I've also been listening to his podcast  recently. In both the book and podc

Some Favorite Reads of 2020

            Reading is a core part of my identity, and I'm glad that I was able to read a lot of great books this year. I also loved seeing reading through Avi's eyes as a way to make sense of the world and learn new words. All that being said, I thought I'd share a few favorites from this year:      My favorites:     * The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennet. This book hooked me from the beginning. I'm a sucker for well-written books with multiples perspectives and timelines, and this was deserving of all the hype it got this year. I also gifted it to my mom for her birthday, and she devoured it too! It's the story of two identical twin sisters who go down two different paths in life and split directions when one of the sisters decides to pass for white and leaves her past behind. Bennet's other book The Mothers  is definitely on my to read list.      * The Ten Thousand Doors of January  by Alix E. Harrow. This was a beautifully written fantasy book that contained an

What I Want to Remember (Avi at One Year)

     It's hard to keep up with our forever changing, on the move girl! Her first birthday was on Monday. I want to take a moment to capture what it's like to have a one-year-old, and what Avi is like at this age. In the midst of all that is uncertain in this moment, I want to hold on to some of these memories, especially because she changes so quickly!     I want to remember:    Avi's first word yesterday--Mama. ❤  how she loves to drum on everything and is constantly moving.  her love of all berries and the way she looks intently into your eyes when she signs "more."   the way she loves to take things out of containers (like drawers, boxes, cabinets etc.).  her love of the outdoors and fascination with pine cones, grass, and flowers.   her laugh and smile when she is on the swing.  the way she looks up to find airplanes and birds in the sky.   how much she loves to read, turn pages, and point to things in the pictures. Favorite books right now: Avi's family b