Skip to main content

This Must Be the Place


A few weeks back, we were talking to some friends on zoom when I noticed a colorful framed print in the background that said, "This Must be the Place." I asked her about it--it was beautiful, and also the title of a Maggie O'Farrell book I read last year that I loved. She said she didn't know about the book, but that it referred to a song she liked.

Ever since then, it keeps flitting in and out my mind. It's such a strange time with a global pandemic and the normal rituals and spaces that connect us  are completely disrupted. Some days I leave my house and just feel this jaw-dropping sense of how much has already been shattered--people who are sick or have died, and how many businesses and store fronts are shuttered. But other days I feel so absorbed in my family, my students and navigating virtual teaching, and chasing after my increasingly mobile 10-month old that the big picture of the situation feels far away.

I think "this must be the place" captures that feeling of both. None of us would have wished for this moment, and also this is the place we are currently inhabiting. This is my daughter's one year of being an infant, and this must be the place where I share her many discoveries and sense of wonder about the world around her. This is my first year of work postpartum, and this must be the place I find my way back to my love of teaching after the first turbulent swirl of going back to work, even if  right now teaching is barely recognizable to the way it was before Covid. I miss being with my students and celebrating the year in a haze of field days and end of the year picnics, and I can find what ways are still available to connect.

This must be the place I show up as the person, partner, mother, and teacher I want to be--to sort out what I can control from what I can't.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's Saving My Life: Sick Kid Edition

As I wrote yesterday, one of my daughters got sick, and so we didn’t make it to our camping trip! I had a really good attitude about it for most of the day and mostly felt grateful that she got sick at home and not 2 hours away, in the desert, where we would have to completely takedown a campsite before leaving. But by the afternoon, I was feeling a little grumpy and bummed to miss an adventure we’d been looking forward to and also cooped up from being inside all day with a kid who wasn’t feeling well. Inspired by San’s recent “Five Things That are Saving My Life Right Now” post, I decided to make my own list that was specific to sick days at home. In no particular order: *Emkfit videos on youtube. It’s awesome to have such a fun, silly, sweaty workout to do. I always feel happier having done the dance videos, and it really helps my mood on days when I’m at home a lot and restless *Good books. I posted earlier this week that October was not the best reading month for me, and so I spen...

FIGS Week 1

This month, I’m joining Elisabeth and other bloggers in the FIG collective. I’m trying to look for and notice the good things in life. The beginning of the month snuck up on me! But I’ve been adding small (and not so small good things) to a google doc for the past week as I notice the good that’s around me. A list of FIGs this week: *Hanging out with friends while kids play on the front sidewalk. I’m always grateful to live near friends and have those easy unplanned moments of community. *Playing hide and seek with the girls makes me feel like a kid again. I also think it’s hilarious that my youngest always finishes counting and then says, “mom, where are you?” *Right now whenever M tries to say “tag, you’re it!” it sounds like “tag, carrot!” Toddler phrases are the best. *Seeing a Western Bluebird and Red Shouldered Hawk at the park. *Reading Everyone is Lying . It’s kind of a candy read, and I am here for it. If the idea of a trad wife muder mystery sounds intriguing to you, I...

FIGS Week 2

I've continued to be so glad that Elisabeth is hosting the FIGS collective this month. I think since the last week in January someone in her house has been sick consecutively, so it's been a bit of a slog here, and practicing gratitude has definitely helped in this season. In week 2, I’m trying to be more organized and capture each day’s good things chronologically. Monday, February 9th I’m grateful for the parents in my youngest daughter’s preschool class. It was definitely a tough drop off, and having friends who have been there and were so kind when the morning was a struggle definitely made the day better. Also grateful not to cook dinner since we have all the super bowl leftovers. Tuesday, February 10th I’m grateful for the Olympics! It was so fun to sit and watch the men’s short program with Joel. We both got really into it, and it was fun to analyze the costumes, music, and performances together. Wednesday, February 11th I’m grateful for M’s laugh. Today she asked ...