Skip to main content

May Focus: Gratitude

     




    This month I'm experimenting with gratitude. May is the last month of the school year in Colorado, so it can get busy with all the special events for end-of-year special events, final grades, etc. We're having a few visitors this month, and it's also Joel's birthday this week. 

    My hope is that having gratitude as part of my daily routine will help me to slow down and appreciate all the little moments this month that might be lost in the shuffle. So far, I've tried a few approaches to make this routine work. Originally I envisioned adding a section to my daily planner for gratitude, but I found I used my planner most heavily at work and wouldn't always remember to complete it in the morning or evening when it felt most natural to gratitude journal. I decided to add it to my morning journal routine. Stacking a new habit onto an existing habit that feels rock-solid made the whole thing feel a lot more effortless.

    Since I've decided where and when to gratitude journal, I've noticed myself paying more attention to these small moments of joy: holding Avi up to look at fire trucks and planes around the neighborhood, finding moments were students' are completely immersed in creative tasks, moments of connection with Joel at the end of the day, and all the spring flowers. I'm curious to see how this experiment shifts with time. If you're interested in the subject of gratitude, you should check out one of my favorite blogs Grateful Kae, who often writes on the subject of gratitude. 

    In the past, I've done some gratitude journaling, but it sometimes shifted into something that felt like something I needed to check off or an obligation. If you have a gratitude journal or other gratitude routine, how do you make it feel meaningful on an ongoing basis? What helps you to keep the routine? 


A few of the things I am feeling grateful for this month: 







    

Comments

  1. Aww, thanks for the mention!

    I've been gratitude journaling every day for years now. I think you're spot on with the idea of tying it to another existing routine. When I first started, I tried just using a notebook but found I was very inconsistent also. I eventually switched to making a short gratitude list on the back on a daily tear-off page from a "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff" calendar that sits on my desk. Every day I would sit down, see the calendar and want to change the date, then write my list on the back, and store the entries in the little calendar box in my desk drawer.

    I did this for several years with basically a perfect track record! I just recently finally switched to incorporating it as part of my daily journaling habit. I now use the Wonderland notebook and have a Gratitude/Bummer section as part of my daily page tracking portion. I fill it out religiously, so I have been equally as consistent with this new system. I also tend to share one on my blog every day! I like focusing mostly on gratitude, but have been enjoying also having a little place to dump anything that bummed me out, too. Seeing the gratitude next to the bummer helps put the bummer in perspective, or balance it out I guess. :)

    And, you are also right- the more you do it, the more you find yourself looking for things to be grateful for! It's like a lightbulb moment in the middle of the day- you suddenly pause just briefly and think, wow, this is great! I'm so GRATEFUL for this (whatever it is)...when maybe in the past you would have just breezed right past it without a thought. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Two November Experiments

  Avi as a strawberry for Halloween.     Since I'm feeling a bit more in a routine work and schedule wise, I've decided to try two experiments this month. I've been thinking about both of them for a while, and I think I have the bandwidth to try them out this month. Experiment #1: The Seven Minute Workout     I struggle to get into exercise routines. It's not my highest priority, but I always do feel more energetic on the days I exercise. I've decided to do the seven minute HIIT workout everyday in November to see how it feels. It definitely gets my heart rate up without feeling too hard, and it's easy to fit in right before I shower in the morning. Although I've done this workout intermittently,  I'm curious to see what it feels like to make this a daily habit.  Experiment #2: Time Block Planning at Work Attempt #1     I read Deep Work  by Cal Newport earlier this year, and I've also been listening to his podcast  recently. In both the book and podc

Some Favorite Reads of 2020

            Reading is a core part of my identity, and I'm glad that I was able to read a lot of great books this year. I also loved seeing reading through Avi's eyes as a way to make sense of the world and learn new words. All that being said, I thought I'd share a few favorites from this year:      My favorites:     * The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennet. This book hooked me from the beginning. I'm a sucker for well-written books with multiples perspectives and timelines, and this was deserving of all the hype it got this year. I also gifted it to my mom for her birthday, and she devoured it too! It's the story of two identical twin sisters who go down two different paths in life and split directions when one of the sisters decides to pass for white and leaves her past behind. Bennet's other book The Mothers  is definitely on my to read list.      * The Ten Thousand Doors of January  by Alix E. Harrow. This was a beautifully written fantasy book that contained an

Analog Evenings

       Library Pick-Ups Lately Reading out loud: In the past we've enjoyed reading mysteries together. Lately though, we subscribed to The New Yorker  and take turns reading the articles and stories to each other. We loved  this article .    Going on walks at the end of the work day or after dinner: This helps to break up the day and separate out work from rest. I love to look at all the whimsical touches in people's yards. So far my favorite is a sign that says "Caution: Entering the Silly Walk Zone."  Cooking or baking together: I originally got the idea of cookie date nights from  Rising Shining . Inspired by the post, we made a big batch of frozen cookie dough portioned out. I was mostly excited to make the cookies, but I was surprised at how much we enjoyed the process. We both love to cook but have been less enthused about it since Avi was born. Since we don't need to bake, it feels like a fun extra instead of an obligation.    Curbside Pick Up books from