Skip to main content

Start Tiny

     I definitely fell out of the habit of blogging. I think when Avi switched to only one nap a day it threw off the routine, and I haven't quite been able to fit it back into a regular routine. 



    So today, inspired by the book Tiny Habits. I thought I'd start tiny and write a short post about my goal this month. 

    This month I'm experimenting with drinking more water and hydrating. I'm hoping it will help me reduce the amount of headaches I get and overall just feel better. Teaching with a mask on makes it easy to go throughout most of the day without taking a lot of water breaks, so I wondered what might help me. 

    B.J. Fogg, the author of Tiny Habits, recommends picking a tiny habit that links to your overall goal. The habit should be easy enough that you can do it even on your busiest days. In the book he gives the example of flossing one tooth to get started with a flossing habit. Normally if you floss one tooth, you'll keep going, but it makes the habit super accessible while you're getting started and on days when it would be easy to drop a habit. 

 So for drinking more water, my tiny habits are this:

*Each night before bed, I fill up a water bottle. I refill it before going in to work.

*At work, the first thing I do when I get to my desk is empty my bag and pour a glass of water from the water bottle. 



    I don't have specific goal for how much I drink, but weirdly filling the glass and having it visible on my desk makes me much more likely to drink water. It feels more accessible to finish a small glass of water than the entire bottle, and more days than not I end up drinking the entire bottle (and even sometimes refilling it). 

    Do you have any tiny habits that help you? And if you have a blog, how do you build it into a regular routine? 



Comments

  1. I can't think of many tiny habits really, except maybe that I recently put all of my skin care products into a small, cute basket that I keep under my pedestal sink in the master bath. Having everything I need all in one place (plus I really like pulling out the cute basket!) seems to have helped me really establish a consistent nighttime skin care routine. (No more digging through cabinet or other places to pull out the products). For blogging, I usually just do it first thing in the morning! If I don't have a window of time to write in the morning, I probably just won't blog that day. Just never really fits in otherwise and I'm not generally in the "mood" to write in the middle of the day anyway. I enjoy making some tea, sitting at my desk, checking my calendar and then writing a post in a quiet house. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Two November Experiments

  Avi as a strawberry for Halloween.     Since I'm feeling a bit more in a routine work and schedule wise, I've decided to try two experiments this month. I've been thinking about both of them for a while, and I think I have the bandwidth to try them out this month. Experiment #1: The Seven Minute Workout     I struggle to get into exercise routines. It's not my highest priority, but I always do feel more energetic on the days I exercise. I've decided to do the seven minute HIIT workout everyday in November to see how it feels. It definitely gets my heart rate up without feeling too hard, and it's easy to fit in right before I shower in the morning. Although I've done this workout intermittently,  I'm curious to see what it feels like to make this a daily habit.  Experiment #2: Time Block Planning at Work Attempt #1     I read Deep Work  by Cal Newport earlier this year, and I've also been listening to his podcast  recently. In both the book and podc

Some Favorite Reads of 2020

            Reading is a core part of my identity, and I'm glad that I was able to read a lot of great books this year. I also loved seeing reading through Avi's eyes as a way to make sense of the world and learn new words. All that being said, I thought I'd share a few favorites from this year:      My favorites:     * The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennet. This book hooked me from the beginning. I'm a sucker for well-written books with multiples perspectives and timelines, and this was deserving of all the hype it got this year. I also gifted it to my mom for her birthday, and she devoured it too! It's the story of two identical twin sisters who go down two different paths in life and split directions when one of the sisters decides to pass for white and leaves her past behind. Bennet's other book The Mothers  is definitely on my to read list.      * The Ten Thousand Doors of January  by Alix E. Harrow. This was a beautifully written fantasy book that contained an

What I Want to Remember (Avi at One Year)

     It's hard to keep up with our forever changing, on the move girl! Her first birthday was on Monday. I want to take a moment to capture what it's like to have a one-year-old, and what Avi is like at this age. In the midst of all that is uncertain in this moment, I want to hold on to some of these memories, especially because she changes so quickly!     I want to remember:    Avi's first word yesterday--Mama. ❤  how she loves to drum on everything and is constantly moving.  her love of all berries and the way she looks intently into your eyes when she signs "more."   the way she loves to take things out of containers (like drawers, boxes, cabinets etc.).  her love of the outdoors and fascination with pine cones, grass, and flowers.   her laugh and smile when she is on the swing.  the way she looks up to find airplanes and birds in the sky.   how much she loves to read, turn pages, and point to things in the pictures. Favorite books right now: Avi's family b