Skip to main content

Holiday Hustle and A Little Bit Every Day

 

    Last month, I experimented with doing the Seven-ish Minute Workout every day for a month. I completed this exercise every day; even on the days that were most full or I didn't feel like exercising, seven minutes always felt doable enough that I didn't want to break the streak. 
    After a while, a funny thing happened. I began to feel more active in other parts of the day. We spontaneously decided to take a hike one afternoon, and it was easy to climb the steeper portions. I found myself more motivated to take more walks, even after Avi went to sleep. And when my friend, Paulina, encouraged me and Joel to sign up for the Holiday Hustle challenge to benefit Feeding America, I entertained the idea, even though the month before I wouldn't have given it a second thought. 
    The premise of the Holiday Hustle is to run or walk 50 kilometers by New Years Day. On the one hand, it felt silly to pay money to walk 50 kilometers when we could easily do the same thing at home for free. On the other hand, it benefited a good cause, was a way to connect with Paulina from afar, and provided a novelty that shook up our usual routine. Before signing up for the holiday hustle, we wouldn't go on a family walk in December. Now though, it seems worth it to bundle up and look at lights around the neighborhood to add a few more kms. 
    Arbitrary? Yes, but once we're on a walk it's such a good mood booster and way to connect as a family. I can connect with my friend by sending pictures of things we've found on our walks. I remember to take breaks at work for quick walks. Somehow knowing I was counting the distance I walked allowed me to reboot this habit. I've even gone on a run a few times, which I haven't done for months, just because I felt like it. 
    All this is just to say, small amounts of exercise each day added  up to more than I expected. As of right now, I've tracked running and walking 27.6 kilometers. I'm sticking with my seven minute-ish morning exercise on work days because at this point it's a habit, and I know that it helps me start the day with more energy and gives me a bias towards movement throughout the day. 
    I'm looking forward to completing the Holiday Hustle and all the walks and runs we will take this month. I love bundling up, listening to a podcast, and looking at all the Christmas lights in our neighborhood. I'm anticipating this will get harder as the weather gets colder. Yesterday was so cold, I didn't make it out. For now, though, I'm embracing these outdoor walks most days. 
    I'm curious, what are ways you have found to make movement a consistent part of your routine, especially if you live in a wintry area? I'd love to find ways to keep exercising as it continues to get colder in January and the challenge ends. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two November Experiments

  Avi as a strawberry for Halloween.     Since I'm feeling a bit more in a routine work and schedule wise, I've decided to try two experiments this month. I've been thinking about both of them for a while, and I think I have the bandwidth to try them out this month. Experiment #1: The Seven Minute Workout     I struggle to get into exercise routines. It's not my highest priority, but I always do feel more energetic on the days I exercise. I've decided to do the seven minute HIIT workout everyday in November to see how it feels. It definitely gets my heart rate up without feeling too hard, and it's easy to fit in right before I shower in the morning. Although I've done this workout intermittently,  I'm curious to see what it feels like to make this a daily habit.  Experiment #2: Time Block Planning at Work Attempt #1     I read Deep Work  by Cal Newport earlier this year, and I've also been listening to his podcast  recently. In both the book and podc

Some Favorite Reads of 2020

            Reading is a core part of my identity, and I'm glad that I was able to read a lot of great books this year. I also loved seeing reading through Avi's eyes as a way to make sense of the world and learn new words. All that being said, I thought I'd share a few favorites from this year:      My favorites:     * The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennet. This book hooked me from the beginning. I'm a sucker for well-written books with multiples perspectives and timelines, and this was deserving of all the hype it got this year. I also gifted it to my mom for her birthday, and she devoured it too! It's the story of two identical twin sisters who go down two different paths in life and split directions when one of the sisters decides to pass for white and leaves her past behind. Bennet's other book The Mothers  is definitely on my to read list.      * The Ten Thousand Doors of January  by Alix E. Harrow. This was a beautifully written fantasy book that contained an

What I Want to Remember (Avi at One Year)

     It's hard to keep up with our forever changing, on the move girl! Her first birthday was on Monday. I want to take a moment to capture what it's like to have a one-year-old, and what Avi is like at this age. In the midst of all that is uncertain in this moment, I want to hold on to some of these memories, especially because she changes so quickly!     I want to remember:    Avi's first word yesterday--Mama. ❤  how she loves to drum on everything and is constantly moving.  her love of all berries and the way she looks intently into your eyes when she signs "more."   the way she loves to take things out of containers (like drawers, boxes, cabinets etc.).  her love of the outdoors and fascination with pine cones, grass, and flowers.   her laugh and smile when she is on the swing.  the way she looks up to find airplanes and birds in the sky.   how much she loves to read, turn pages, and point to things in the pictures. Favorite books right now: Avi's family b