Skip to main content

Planning for a Week Off with a Toddler

     

    I have the week off from work! I love my job, but I'm looking forward to having some time at home with Avi and Joel. 

    That said, this morning I started feeling a little overwhelmed at the thought of an entire week off without any structure or plan. Before we had Avi and the pandemic, we would travel for Thanksgiving to be with family. I find myself missing the change of scenery. Case rates are really high right now, which significantly limits what we can do outside of our home and outdoors. Also, I think Avi is about ready to drop a nap, which can lead to a topsy-turvy routine and overtired child. 

    Given those givens, I'm trying to be more proactive about how I can enjoy this time off and embrace this messy, somewhat cooped up time at home, even if it doesn't look exactly like a typical vacation. My goal is to make the time off feel special and out of our normal routine. 

    Yesterday, I jotted down a few ideas of what I could do this break. Current ideas in addition to the above list: make play dough, meet up with friends at the park, happy hours in the backyard with heaters, slightly more special takeout, and more reading for fun. Plus lots of fun Thanksgiving cooking projects with our friend who is visiting.

    I don't know that all get to all of the things on the list, and I'm sure I'll add to the list, but I feel a lot more energized going into this week with a few options of things to do as a family. Yesterday we met up with a friend at the park for coffee, which felt like a nice way to connect in the chilly weather while still enjoying time outside. This week I want to remember to opt outside, even if the weather's not perfect this time of year. Being outside always makes me feel happy and more patient/present. 

    Looking forward to a week with lots of slow, toddler walks, trips to the park, endless mugs of tea, cooking and baking, "art projects," and reading. I'm appreciating the flowers and wine Joel brought home from the store! I'm especially excited because he bought a bottle of wine from a winery we visited on a trip to Argentina several years ago, which will give us a little taste of travel from our living room. 

    If you are a parent, what suggestions do you have for making this time off feel special and different than our daily routine?




 

Comments

  1. Ahh that sounds wonderful. I don't have any extra time off this week. Since I work from home, I sometimes "forget" that I should still plan time off! My job is flexible, so I'm able to fit in things like a walk with the boys, etc. but it's not the same of course as a full week with no work.

    I'm trying to think of any good ideas for you but your daughter is at a bit of a tough age yet. In another 1-2 years there will be SO many fun options of how to spend a holiday week!!

    You could build a fort and read together in there while eating a snack with flashlights! My boys used to love doing that. I think baking is always fun to do, though she's probably too little to help much. ;) I think your idea of lots of outside time is a great one. Will she watch a movie yet? Obviously Christmas movies are fun to have on, even if just in the background. Definitely lots of reading! The outdoor happy hours and wine sound perfect to me, too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Two November Experiments

  Avi as a strawberry for Halloween.     Since I'm feeling a bit more in a routine work and schedule wise, I've decided to try two experiments this month. I've been thinking about both of them for a while, and I think I have the bandwidth to try them out this month. Experiment #1: The Seven Minute Workout     I struggle to get into exercise routines. It's not my highest priority, but I always do feel more energetic on the days I exercise. I've decided to do the seven minute HIIT workout everyday in November to see how it feels. It definitely gets my heart rate up without feeling too hard, and it's easy to fit in right before I shower in the morning. Although I've done this workout intermittently,  I'm curious to see what it feels like to make this a daily habit.  Experiment #2: Time Block Planning at Work Attempt #1     I read Deep Work  by Cal Newport earlier this year, and I've also been listening to his podcast  recently. In both the book and podc

Some Favorite Reads of 2020

            Reading is a core part of my identity, and I'm glad that I was able to read a lot of great books this year. I also loved seeing reading through Avi's eyes as a way to make sense of the world and learn new words. All that being said, I thought I'd share a few favorites from this year:      My favorites:     * The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennet. This book hooked me from the beginning. I'm a sucker for well-written books with multiples perspectives and timelines, and this was deserving of all the hype it got this year. I also gifted it to my mom for her birthday, and she devoured it too! It's the story of two identical twin sisters who go down two different paths in life and split directions when one of the sisters decides to pass for white and leaves her past behind. Bennet's other book The Mothers  is definitely on my to read list.      * The Ten Thousand Doors of January  by Alix E. Harrow. This was a beautifully written fantasy book that contained an

What I Want to Remember (Avi at One Year)

     It's hard to keep up with our forever changing, on the move girl! Her first birthday was on Monday. I want to take a moment to capture what it's like to have a one-year-old, and what Avi is like at this age. In the midst of all that is uncertain in this moment, I want to hold on to some of these memories, especially because she changes so quickly!     I want to remember:    Avi's first word yesterday--Mama. ❤  how she loves to drum on everything and is constantly moving.  her love of all berries and the way she looks intently into your eyes when she signs "more."   the way she loves to take things out of containers (like drawers, boxes, cabinets etc.).  her love of the outdoors and fascination with pine cones, grass, and flowers.   her laugh and smile when she is on the swing.  the way she looks up to find airplanes and birds in the sky.   how much she loves to read, turn pages, and point to things in the pictures. Favorite books right now: Avi's family b