Skip to main content

Tashlikh

     



    Our family celebrated Rosh Hashanah this month. This year, we had a smaller celebration than usual, but it was nice to gather with friends outside, light candles, and wish each other a sweet New Year with apples and honey. I didn't grow up celebrating Jewish New Year, but since Joel and I have been together, we've celebrated most Jewish holidays. 

One aspect of the holiday that was new to me this year was Tashlikh. Joel mentioned that he wanted to bring bread to the river for Tashlikh when we went for a walk the other day with my mother and sister-in-law. Tashlikh, is a ritual where you throw bread crumbs into a moving body of water. As far as I understand it, each crumb represents casting off a sin from the previous year and a clean start. Although neither of us are very religious, tashlikh was more meaningful to me than I would have thought. 

There's something about taking time to reflect on moments in the past year when you've missed the mark in some way, and then tossing the memory of the moment into the flow of the water that does feel like absolution in some way. Watching the river, lots of little ways I've missed the mark came to mind, ranging from mindless scrolling on my phone around Avi to words spoken too quickly or harshly to others. Bringing these to mind didn't make me feel guilty. As I tossed the pebbles (we forgot the bread in the car), I felt human. The water could hold my mistakes, and the river kept flowing.

Something about that moment, kneeling next to Avi and tossing pebbles into the water, made me feel so grateful for my family and having incredible access to nature here in Colorado. I find myself holding on to that feeling in the midst of lots of changes at work and motivated to try and do a little better. 





Comments

  1. Beautiful tradition. I had never heard of it before! It's lovely. My boys attend a Catholic school, although we are kind of a mix between Catholic (my husband, though pretty non-religious) and Lutheran (how I was raised, though I attended Catholic mass during college and the boys were baptized Catholic.) However, we now go to a Lutheran church when we go. Anyway! My boys both have Religion class at school, and the other day my 5th grader was studying for a test. He had a chart comparing Judaism, Christianity and Islam in many ways (i.e. the name of each's holy book, founding cities, what do you call the clergy man/woman, beliefs on x,y,z, etc. etc.) I love that they are teaching them about the different religions, and it made me realize that I really know very little about the history or teachings of other religions, even those that are common here in the U.S. (besides Christianity)! I didn't actually know everything that was on the 5th grade chart. Oops. It inspired me to maybe look into reading more about them, broadening my horizons a bit more. Sorry for the ramble! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, we don't always learn about other faith traditions. I'm Unitarian now, but I love incorporating many of the Jewish traditions that are important to Joel. We're still figuring out exactly all the ways we want to incorporate religious traditions into our interfaith home, but I'd like to learn more about different religious traditions as well. Let me know if you find any good books or memoirs about different religions. I'd be curious to check them out too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Two November Experiments

  Avi as a strawberry for Halloween.     Since I'm feeling a bit more in a routine work and schedule wise, I've decided to try two experiments this month. I've been thinking about both of them for a while, and I think I have the bandwidth to try them out this month. Experiment #1: The Seven Minute Workout     I struggle to get into exercise routines. It's not my highest priority, but I always do feel more energetic on the days I exercise. I've decided to do the seven minute HIIT workout everyday in November to see how it feels. It definitely gets my heart rate up without feeling too hard, and it's easy to fit in right before I shower in the morning. Although I've done this workout intermittently,  I'm curious to see what it feels like to make this a daily habit.  Experiment #2: Time Block Planning at Work Attempt #1     I read Deep Work  by Cal Newport earlier this year, and I've also been listening to his podcast  recently. In both the book and podc

Some Favorite Reads of 2020

            Reading is a core part of my identity, and I'm glad that I was able to read a lot of great books this year. I also loved seeing reading through Avi's eyes as a way to make sense of the world and learn new words. All that being said, I thought I'd share a few favorites from this year:      My favorites:     * The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennet. This book hooked me from the beginning. I'm a sucker for well-written books with multiples perspectives and timelines, and this was deserving of all the hype it got this year. I also gifted it to my mom for her birthday, and she devoured it too! It's the story of two identical twin sisters who go down two different paths in life and split directions when one of the sisters decides to pass for white and leaves her past behind. Bennet's other book The Mothers  is definitely on my to read list.      * The Ten Thousand Doors of January  by Alix E. Harrow. This was a beautifully written fantasy book that contained an

What I Want to Remember (Avi at One Year)

     It's hard to keep up with our forever changing, on the move girl! Her first birthday was on Monday. I want to take a moment to capture what it's like to have a one-year-old, and what Avi is like at this age. In the midst of all that is uncertain in this moment, I want to hold on to some of these memories, especially because she changes so quickly!     I want to remember:    Avi's first word yesterday--Mama. ❤  how she loves to drum on everything and is constantly moving.  her love of all berries and the way she looks intently into your eyes when she signs "more."   the way she loves to take things out of containers (like drawers, boxes, cabinets etc.).  her love of the outdoors and fascination with pine cones, grass, and flowers.   her laugh and smile when she is on the swing.  the way she looks up to find airplanes and birds in the sky.   how much she loves to read, turn pages, and point to things in the pictures. Favorite books right now: Avi's family b