Skip to main content

July Goals-2020



I've so enjoyed reading monthly goal posts on other blogs, so I thought I'd give it a go here. 

Before I wrote these I went back to my essential questions and jotted down what I'd done in relationship to exploring each question. At a time when I was feeling overwhelmed by all that I want to fit in this summer, it felt validating to know that I'd actually made progress on all the questions I've been thinking about this summer. It also helped me to think through some July goals and note the biggest mindset shift I'd like to make for July. It's really easy at this moment to get overwhelmed by the scope of large systemic problems (systemic racism, Covid) and uncertainty about the future, and I'd really like to balance striving towards goals and feeling urgency with being present to the many joys of everyday life.

This July:
*A turns 1!
*It's our 4 year wedding anniversary!
*My parents and J's mom are visiting for the first time in a long time.

Goals: 
*Daily walks and yoga
*Blog Post 1x weekly
*Plan A's (Socially Distanced) park birthday party
*Finish 2-3 weeks of Me & White Supremacy journaling prompts
*Host at least 3 friends for backyard hangouts (**since writing this we have already hosted 2)
*Finish online classes for the summer.

Comments

  1. I love reading goals posts too!!! Yours seem very straight forward and manageable. Smart. I am known for over-reaching and setting like 500 goals sometimes. Haha! I'm getting better about it though lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard sometimes to narrow down, and I definitely have to remind myself to focus on progress over perfection. I definitely hit post and remembered one or two more, but I figure I can always save them for next month :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Two November Experiments

  Avi as a strawberry for Halloween.     Since I'm feeling a bit more in a routine work and schedule wise, I've decided to try two experiments this month. I've been thinking about both of them for a while, and I think I have the bandwidth to try them out this month. Experiment #1: The Seven Minute Workout     I struggle to get into exercise routines. It's not my highest priority, but I always do feel more energetic on the days I exercise. I've decided to do the seven minute HIIT workout everyday in November to see how it feels. It definitely gets my heart rate up without feeling too hard, and it's easy to fit in right before I shower in the morning. Although I've done this workout intermittently,  I'm curious to see what it feels like to make this a daily habit.  Experiment #2: Time Block Planning at Work Attempt #1     I read Deep Work  by Cal Newport earlier this year, and I've also been listening to his podcast  recently. In both the book and podc

Some Favorite Reads of 2020

            Reading is a core part of my identity, and I'm glad that I was able to read a lot of great books this year. I also loved seeing reading through Avi's eyes as a way to make sense of the world and learn new words. All that being said, I thought I'd share a few favorites from this year:      My favorites:     * The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennet. This book hooked me from the beginning. I'm a sucker for well-written books with multiples perspectives and timelines, and this was deserving of all the hype it got this year. I also gifted it to my mom for her birthday, and she devoured it too! It's the story of two identical twin sisters who go down two different paths in life and split directions when one of the sisters decides to pass for white and leaves her past behind. Bennet's other book The Mothers  is definitely on my to read list.      * The Ten Thousand Doors of January  by Alix E. Harrow. This was a beautifully written fantasy book that contained an

21 for 21 so far

            Normally I love to reflect at the end of the month. The end of February felt out of routine, and so it took me until a week into March to realize I hadn't set any goals for the month or reflected on February. I thought I'd mix it up and reflect instead on my 21 for 21 list and take more of a yearly lens.      I was pleasantly surprised to see that I actually had  made progress on many of the things on my 21 for 21 list so far!  Made Progress with: Hosting gatherings adapted to the season. We've had lunch in the park on nice days and met up with friends for walks and hot drinks outside.  So far Joel and I have gone on monthly dates in January and February, which has been great. We've been to two new-to-us parks: Kanemoto Park and Sandstone Ranch. Avi LOVED Sandstone Ranch, and the trails are flat enough that she can navigate much of it on her own :) I've done some work on shutdown rituals, and less distracted parenting. Having the phone in a basket helps,