Skip to main content

Assorted Creative Ideas List

    
    One struggle this year was managing nagging thoughts; I'd think of work at home and home at work. It was hard to be present in the moment because there was always so much left to do. My time at home with Avi felt precious, so I resented the intrusion of work thoughts into family time. 
    One day I decided to take two minutes to jot down everything I needed to do later. Having everything written down freed my brain from having to remember these tasks, and I found myself feeling lighter and more playful with Avi. 
    This feeling is key when spending lots of time with a baby. At least in my experience, time with infants is unstructured enough to give you plenty of time to ruminate on your to-dos without actually giving you any time to complete them. Writing down these to-dos helped me feel organized even if I couldn't act on these ideas right away. With the extra head space, I was in a better frame of mind to play "where's Avi?" over and over, search for dandelions, or snuggle up and read a favorite board book. I could see the beautiful moments amidst the cyclical nature of caring for my daughter. 
    At first I was more focused on relieving anxiety or nagging thoughts. Now though, I find that this same strategy works really well for  holding on to more generative and positive ideas. I have a grid notebook with a table of contents, and I've started writing pages called "Assorted Creative Ideas." These are lists where I can write down anything that pops up as an idea I want to do in the future. Since starting this list, I find I have more ideas, maybe just because I have a place to file them. The ideas can come from blogs, books I'm reading, podcasts, or just something that occurs from me while I'm playing with Avi, talking to someone, cooking, or doing something around the house. 
    A few ideas from the list:
  • making a board book for Avi's birthday
  • going to the airport to watch the planes
  • organizing centers around themed book clubs at school
  • creating a choose your own adventure project for students in social studies
  • making finger paint to try out
  • various blog post ideas
   I've already done some of these, and I hope to do others in the future. Likely, I won't get to every item on the list, but that's really not the point. Writing down these ideas nurtures the part of me that loves to tinker, write, create, and play. When I embrace those parts of me, I find it's easier for me to show up in the various roles and relationships in my life the way I want to. I feel more like me. 

     How do you keep track of ideas? Do you use apps, technology, or paper and pencil like me?  

Comments

  1. I try to do this, too, though I'm not always the best at it. I actually have been wanting to get a special, pretty notebook to keep track specifically of blog-related stuff. I get random ideas or things that I think I'd like to write about, but I don't always have a specific place to write them down. I have some little notepads, but they tend to get messy/disorganized or I misplace the page...I need a better system and something more permanent. I have been trying to also keep a running "Notes" note on my iPhone since sometimes I think of things when I'm not at my desk.

    I have a big notebook where I keep track of other ideas/ things I want to do/ family activity ideas along with many other pages with my habit trackers, monthly goals, etc in my desk drawer (like my master life notebook) but I want something separate that I can work more freely (and messily!) from for my blog stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Two November Experiments

  Avi as a strawberry for Halloween.     Since I'm feeling a bit more in a routine work and schedule wise, I've decided to try two experiments this month. I've been thinking about both of them for a while, and I think I have the bandwidth to try them out this month. Experiment #1: The Seven Minute Workout     I struggle to get into exercise routines. It's not my highest priority, but I always do feel more energetic on the days I exercise. I've decided to do the seven minute HIIT workout everyday in November to see how it feels. It definitely gets my heart rate up without feeling too hard, and it's easy to fit in right before I shower in the morning. Although I've done this workout intermittently,  I'm curious to see what it feels like to make this a daily habit.  Experiment #2: Time Block Planning at Work Attempt #1     I read Deep Work  by Cal Newport earlier this year, and I've also been listening to his podcast  recently. In both the book and podc

Some Favorite Reads of 2020

            Reading is a core part of my identity, and I'm glad that I was able to read a lot of great books this year. I also loved seeing reading through Avi's eyes as a way to make sense of the world and learn new words. All that being said, I thought I'd share a few favorites from this year:      My favorites:     * The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennet. This book hooked me from the beginning. I'm a sucker for well-written books with multiples perspectives and timelines, and this was deserving of all the hype it got this year. I also gifted it to my mom for her birthday, and she devoured it too! It's the story of two identical twin sisters who go down two different paths in life and split directions when one of the sisters decides to pass for white and leaves her past behind. Bennet's other book The Mothers  is definitely on my to read list.      * The Ten Thousand Doors of January  by Alix E. Harrow. This was a beautifully written fantasy book that contained an

21 for 21 so far

            Normally I love to reflect at the end of the month. The end of February felt out of routine, and so it took me until a week into March to realize I hadn't set any goals for the month or reflected on February. I thought I'd mix it up and reflect instead on my 21 for 21 list and take more of a yearly lens.      I was pleasantly surprised to see that I actually had  made progress on many of the things on my 21 for 21 list so far!  Made Progress with: Hosting gatherings adapted to the season. We've had lunch in the park on nice days and met up with friends for walks and hot drinks outside.  So far Joel and I have gone on monthly dates in January and February, which has been great. We've been to two new-to-us parks: Kanemoto Park and Sandstone Ranch. Avi LOVED Sandstone Ranch, and the trails are flat enough that she can navigate much of it on her own :) I've done some work on shutdown rituals, and less distracted parenting. Having the phone in a basket helps,