Skip to main content

I'm Not Listening (at least not like I want to)


So far, the book that's had the greatest impact on me this year is not really a book I selected at all. I came across You're Not Listening by Kate Murphy twice before I gave it a shot. Don't you just love it when that kind of magic happens where you hear about a book several times in a row right at a moment when it speaks to you?

The first time I encountered the book was through the Libro.fm Educator ALC program. If you're a teacher, librarian, or in other related fields, you can request to join this program which provides you with a diverse selection of audiobooks available to download for free each month. Even if you're not eligible for the ALC program, I still highly recommend checking out Libro.fm as way to support your favorite indie bookstore when you buy audiobooks. I downloaded You're Not Listening without thinking too much about it.

Then I few days later I heard Kate Murphy speak about her book on one of my favorite podcasts Vrain Waves, and I was completely hooked. I started the audiobook a couple of days later and realized that something I'd always believed to be true about myself (that I'm a good listener) really wasn't exactly right. I sometimes am I good listener, but I think I've actually become a worse listener than I was before. Here are some of my takeaways:

*Listening does not equal sitting around and waiting for someone to finish talking while you think about what you want to say next. I am definitely guilty of this one, but I've been catching myself doing this more and trying to return my attention back to what the speaker is saying.


*We think we know people better than we actually do, and so at times we listen less closely to people we love the most.


*Therefore, we often interrupt people and try to finish their thoughts for them, but we often get it wrong or miss the nuance of what they were trying to tell us. The two places I've noticed this come up the most for me is in my marriage and with students (in general, but especially with online learning). Anytime my partner J pauses, I am so tempted to complete the thought for him and continue the conversation. In the few weeks I've been paying more attention to this, I have discovered I am often wrong, and what he says is more interesting or surprising than what I expected he would. The other arena I see myself doing this is with students. Especially if they are working through a complex thought or thinking out loud, I am too quick to jump in and help or clarify what they are saying. When I do that, I take away important processing that is actually helping them learn a lot more deeply. I definitely still finish people's thoughts, but I'm trying to decrease this habit, or if I do, I say, "I'm sorry, I cut you off."


*We focus more on logistical questions than expansive questions. Logistical questions definitely have a role to play, but at least for me, I ask a much higher percentage of logistical questions (especially when I'm stressed or tired). Logistical questions might be something like "What do you do?" or "What do you want to eat for dinner?" whereas expansive questions are more along the lines of "what was the best and worst part of your day?" or "what's an idea your thinking about  a lot lately?" These open-ended questions take the conversation in an interesting direction that helps you to know someone more deeply. And honestly, it leads to conversations that are a lot more fun. This point was particularly salient to me as a new parent. Since A (my daughter) was born a little less than a year ago so much of my conversation with J is logistical--who is watching A? when is that meeting after work? What should we eat for dinner? When did she wake up from her nap? etc. There is nothing wrong with this type of questions, and they are necessary when sharing labor whether at home or at work. However, when that's the majority of the conversation, it takes away a lot of the joy and spark of a relationship. I've had so many moments when asking more expansive questions where I've thought "huh, I had no idea he was thinking this, that is so cool" or "I love talking with J". I think this goes for all types of relationships.


*We don't ask clarifying questions when we don't understand something someone has said, or we make an assumption about what they probably meant that isn't true.


*Since A doesn't speak yet, I've been trying to sit back and observe her as a way of listening to her interests and curiosities about the world. I also sign to her simple things like more or all done and wait for a response. I'm sure my ideas about listening as a parent will adapt and change as she begins  to speak, and I can already imagine it will be a challenge not to interrupt her.


*Do any of these habits ring true for you? I'm curious--are there any expansive questions you use in conversation that take conversations in interesting directions? Let me know in the comments.


Comments

  1. I think your first takeaway is the #1 reason I picked up the book after hearing about it. I feel way too guilty of doing this (the waiting for someone to be done while thinking about what I'm going to respond with.) In my case, I like to think I don't have any malicious intent with this, and it's not that I don't care about what the other person is saying...but I notice I do this more with people I don't know as well/ if making "small talk" with someone. I think I actually am sometimes afraid of awkward pauses or uncomfortable conversations (I might be a tad bit socially awkward sometimes too? I don't know. hahaha). So I think that as sort of a coping mechanism I will try to make SURE the conversation keeps flowing. But I do notice sometimes that I maybe have actually interrupted the other person, and then I feel so bad about it. I'm hoping that reading this book will make me even more aware of this and become more comfortable just quietly listening to the other person. I like your comments about asking expansive questions. I also think I'm guilty with my husband sometimes of having a lot on my mind and sort of "shooing" him away if I am distracted or have something "I" wanted to discuss with him related to the kids or a household issue. When he gets home from work and starts venting to me about a work issue, for example, there honestly are times that I feel like....ugh I already have so much on my mind, I don't really want to listen to this right now!! But I know it's important for him to have someone to get those things out to, so I want to change that and be a more supportive listener even if it's not my favorite topic. Lol!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Two November Experiments

  Avi as a strawberry for Halloween.     Since I'm feeling a bit more in a routine work and schedule wise, I've decided to try two experiments this month. I've been thinking about both of them for a while, and I think I have the bandwidth to try them out this month. Experiment #1: The Seven Minute Workout     I struggle to get into exercise routines. It's not my highest priority, but I always do feel more energetic on the days I exercise. I've decided to do the seven minute HIIT workout everyday in November to see how it feels. It definitely gets my heart rate up without feeling too hard, and it's easy to fit in right before I shower in the morning. Although I've done this workout intermittently,  I'm curious to see what it feels like to make this a daily habit.  Experiment #2: Time Block Planning at Work Attempt #1     I read Deep Work  by Cal Newport earlier this year, and I've also been listening to his podcast  recently. In both the book and podc

Some Favorite Reads of 2020

            Reading is a core part of my identity, and I'm glad that I was able to read a lot of great books this year. I also loved seeing reading through Avi's eyes as a way to make sense of the world and learn new words. All that being said, I thought I'd share a few favorites from this year:      My favorites:     * The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennet. This book hooked me from the beginning. I'm a sucker for well-written books with multiples perspectives and timelines, and this was deserving of all the hype it got this year. I also gifted it to my mom for her birthday, and she devoured it too! It's the story of two identical twin sisters who go down two different paths in life and split directions when one of the sisters decides to pass for white and leaves her past behind. Bennet's other book The Mothers  is definitely on my to read list.      * The Ten Thousand Doors of January  by Alix E. Harrow. This was a beautifully written fantasy book that contained an

What I Want to Remember (Avi at One Year)

     It's hard to keep up with our forever changing, on the move girl! Her first birthday was on Monday. I want to take a moment to capture what it's like to have a one-year-old, and what Avi is like at this age. In the midst of all that is uncertain in this moment, I want to hold on to some of these memories, especially because she changes so quickly!     I want to remember:    Avi's first word yesterday--Mama. ❤  how she loves to drum on everything and is constantly moving.  her love of all berries and the way she looks intently into your eyes when she signs "more."   the way she loves to take things out of containers (like drawers, boxes, cabinets etc.).  her love of the outdoors and fascination with pine cones, grass, and flowers.   her laugh and smile when she is on the swing.  the way she looks up to find airplanes and birds in the sky.   how much she loves to read, turn pages, and point to things in the pictures. Favorite books right now: Avi's family b